Wednesday 6 June 2012

Grease has ALWAYS been the word!

Who am I?
My name is Lalainia Lindbjerg Strelau (a ridiculous tongue twistor of a name, I know) and I am directing/choreographing 'Grease' for Footlight Theatre Company, which will be performed at the Michael J. Fox Theatre (Burnaby) in November 2012.


What's this about?
This is going to be a 'blog' following my experience.


Why Grease?
Grease is a project near and dear to my heart. Right from the time when I was three years old and my babysitter took me to the (completely inappropriate) movie - I was hooked. Apparently it had me doing cartwheels in front of the audience (there used to be small stages in front of the screen) right at the movie theatre!


I also remember watching my big sister getting to dress up as 'cool Sandy' for Halloween. She was 8 or 9 and because of the chilly Vancouver weather our Mom forced her wear a pink turtle neck under the classic off the shoulder top - she was not pleased! But my dream of getting to dress up just like my big sister and belt out the heartfelt 'Hopelessly Devoted' was not squashed by the unsightly turtleneck - it was enhanced!


Luckily my hearts desire to play the good girl who turns cool was realized in the year 2000 down at Theatre Under the Stars. Not only did I get to play Sandy, but my husband played Danny & my sister played Rizzo! I still remember the absolutely magical moment of singing 'Summer Nights' while the tangerine rays of the sun setting shone onto the stage as a perfect spotlight. Ahhhhh... theatre!


I was also given an amazing opportunity to direct Grease six years later in 2006. I had an AMAZING cast, 2 fantastic choreographers (Kevin Tookey & Alex Pesusich), a great musical director (Jim Bryson) & band. Crewing the show proved a bit of a challenge - but we made it happen. It was a BLAST!!


Why blog about Grease 2012?
So now - here I am directing the show again and beginning the process all over again!


Often I begin a project by researching. I become completely obsessed. Bombarding myself with images, video's, history, interviews, music, etc. Spending any spare time (which I have to admit, is not a lot) trying to capture or inspire myself to create the best show possible.


Then I begin the casting process, which leads to rehearsals, which leads to tech week, which leads to performances which leads to a HUGE sigh of relief as my job is completed. But I've realized that I get so busy, so focused, so 'in the moment' that I often don't have too many recollections of the process I just went through. That's pretty scary considering I will often spend upward of 7 months on a project!


So - I've decided to 'blog' about my experience of Directing/Choreographing 'Grease' for Footlight Theatre. That way I can actually look back when I am finished and read about my experience. Why blog about it? To be honest - the theatre world is SO full of craziness I figured it may end up mildly entertaining - so why not share it with the rest of the world! We could all use a bit of a laugh now and then!


So hopefully you'll enjoy. Stay tuned in - and look forward to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment